The main purpose of the role is to act as SMF 16 and ensure that the regulatory risk within Sapia Partners LLP is understood and managed effectively, and that all compliance matters are overseen.
This involves being responsible for setting the compliance framework for Sapia, and the management and oversight of the Sapia AR Monitoring Team.
It also involves being part of the RegCom Senior Leadership Team making decisions on an ongoing basis about strategy, people, processes and clients. This is likely to involve hands-on issue resolution and taking responsibility for delivering projects outside the requirements of the specific job function.
The role holder has the regulatory function of SMF 16 for Sapia Partners. The regulatory responsibilities associated with these are outlined in the “Statement of Responsibilities”. The role holder is responsible for developing a positive relationship with staff at the FCA including the asset management supervision department and the Principal firm supervision unit.
The role holder will sit on the Board delegated committees for Sapia, being the Compliance Committee, Risk & Valuation Committee and Business Acceptance Committee. The responsibilities of these Committees are set out in their respective Terms of Reference.
On a day to day basis the role holder will be expected to carry out the following:
- Compliance oversight of the population of appointed representatives. Ensure a robust monitoring programme that works to mitigate risks in a way that is appropriate to the AR’s business and the business of Sapia.
- Ensuring ongoing compliance of all parts of the business with the FCA requirements including SYSC 12.5 and the AIFMD and FUND sourcebooks.
- Correspondence with the FCA and other competent authorities on regulatory matters. Building an effective relationship with FCA staff and showing good judgement in all dealing with the FCA and any other regulatory body.
- Acting as an SME on regulatory matters; training others where appropriate.
- Providing QA review of others’ work where necessary. Offering sound decision making when presenting with issues.
- Setting a compliance focused culture within the broader RegCom business
- Developing and implementing policies and procedures as appropriate, particularly around conduct risk and product governance.
- To support and challenge the business to remediate control weaknesses
- Managing the senior team members so that everyone is performing to their best ability (setting objectives, ensuring delivery against them, timely interventions, steering progression). Implementing second level of management hierarchy as appropriate.
- Ensuring that the overall resourcing for the team is appropriate
- Identifying issues and resolving them; escalating issues and breaches where appropriate.
- Reporting to the Compliance Committee and to the Board on compliance matters.
- To ensure escalation of compliance matters to Group Risk & Compliance as necessary.
- To participate in and manage special assignments and investigations as and when required.
- Adhering to all company policies and procedures.
- High degree of technical expertise on the Principal/AR business model, including detailed knowledge of the FCA Handbook and other relevant standards and guidance.
- Awareness of risk management and risk control across the sectors in which we operate, primarily corporate finance, private equity and real estate fund managers and advisor/arrangers.
- Strategic mindset – focused on growing the business in a compliant manner
- Excellent understanding of regulatory risk and how it is mitigated, along with risk appetite and risk management frameworks.
- Exemplifies a commitment to good governance and accountability
- Relationship building with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Gains trust and respect through demonstrating subject matter expertise and solution focus.
- Drives the team to perform at its best level through effective line management and coaching.
Key behaviours we expect to see
In addition to demonstrating our Group Values (Authentic, Bold, and Collaborative), the role holder will be expected to display the following:
- Knowledge sharing
- Attention to detail
- Results and output focused
- Leadership, embedding a strong compliance culture
- Relationship building
- Team working, resolving issues in a collegiate manner
- At least 10 years compliance experience in a relevant industry sector. Prior experience as an SMF 16 would be useful but not essential. We will provide support and mentorship for the role holder.
- Experience in managing teams.
- Experience presenting to Boards and other management fora on compliance matters.
- Prior experience of developing and implementing new policies and processes.
- Track record of understanding and embedding new regulatory developments into existing working practices.
At IQ-EQ we want you to reach your full potential. We offer an inclusive and diverse environment to support your career aspirations. With a strong emphasis on continuous learning and a holistic approach to your professional and personal development. We also offer opportunities across our service lines and our international network of offices.
IQ-EQ is a leading Investor Services group which combines global expertise with an unwavering focus on client service delivery. We support fund managers, global companies, family offices and private clients operating worldwide.
< Back to search results